Announcing Fall Auditions for 2019-2020 Season
We are excited to welcome all the talented members accepted from our Spring Auditions and would welcome any qualified musicians to join them via our Fall Auditions held on September 29 at Independence HS and September 30 at McLean HS.
Both Live/In-Person and Online/Video Options Available!
- Those interested in an in-person audition can register for an audition slot via this link. Auditions will be held Sunday September 29 at Independence HS in Ashburn and Monday September 30 at McLean HS.
- Those interested in a video audition should review the NVYW Video Audition Instructions and submit their audition via this link by September 30. Email any questions to email@example.com
2018-2019 members who would like to return:
- All 2018-2019 NVYW students will be welcome to return in 2019-2020 without audition.
- Freshman (those previously in Junior Winds as 8th graders) will be automatically placed in Senior Winds.
- 2018-2019 members can express their interest to continue by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org and including student name, instrument, age, and 2019-2020 school/grade in the email.
Tuition rate for the 2019-2020 season
- Tuition for the 2019-2020 season will be $275, due on confirmation of participation. This reflects a tuition decrease from the 2018-2019 season.
- No audition fee
Who is Eligible
NVYW Symphonic Winds is open to students, grades 9 – 12, and NVYW Junior Winds is open to students, grades 6 – 8, who are members in good standing in their public, private, parochial or home school band. Placement and/or seating of students in their school band will not be considered in determining acceptance or placement in Symphonic Winds / Junior Winds. Selection to the ensemble will be determined by successful audition and instrumentation needs.
What Is Expected at NVYW Auditions
- To support the mission and educational focus of high schools in Fairfax County and the Northern Virginia region, auditions for NVYW will closely parallel expectations for district and state ensembles.
- Students will be asked to prepare one or more excerpts, of their own choosing, not to exceed two minutes in length, which will demonstrate technical facility, maturity of tone and expressive content. Selection of performance excerpts is the choice of the player, in consultation with his/her music teachers.
- Percussionists will be expected to prepare excerpts on at least two of the three percussion disciplines: Snare, Mallets and Timpani.
- All students will be asked to perform major scales (Junior Winds, major scales up to 4 sharps and 4 flats), chosen by the audition committee, and the chromatic scale over the range of their instrument, according to the information below.
- There is no requirement for sight-reading.
- Junior Winds In-Person Audition Requirements (PDF)
- Symphonic Winds In-Person Audition Requirements (PDF)
Need-based scholarships may be available. Applications will be made available at the time of acceptance and due upon confirmation of participation.