The association took another big step as both a musical and educational organization when it launched the Northern Virgninia Youth Winds and the youth division of the City of Fairfax Band Association.
NVYW is comprised of high school woodwind, brass and percussion students selected by competitive audition. Under the direction of Denny Stokes, NVYW supports instrumental music students, music teachers and the local music community by
- Providing high quality musical training and educational opportunities for young musicians
- Providing additional, supplemental performance opportunities for advanced students
- Expanding student access to advanced wind repertoire
- Supporting the educational mission of high school band programs, their directors, students and families
- Strengthening the bonds of musicianship, friendship and common experience for music students across the region
- Serving as another musical voice, with a regional perspective, for the protection, preservation and advancement of music education in Northern Virginia
All high school students (grades 9-12) who are members in good standing in their school band programs are eligible to audition for NVYW. The success and popularity of the NVYW lead to the creation of the Northern Virginia Junior Winds (NVJW). NVJW provides similar musical opportunities to middle school students.