JOB TITLE: Managing Director
PART-TIME: 20/hours week, flexible
LOCATION: Flex; Rehearsals, concerts and meetings in Fairfax, VA
CLOSING DATE: April 23, 2018
City of Fairfax Band Association is a 501(c)3 performing arts organization. CFBA’s mission is to stimulate, promote and develop interest in the musical environments, educate the general public in the musical environment and advance the national culture in the musical environment through the performance of, and education in the wind and percussion ensemble, and symphonic band musical literatures; and to provide opportunity for development of individual musicianship and musical skills; and for individual musical expression and enjoyment of music among its membership and the general public.
JOB SUMMARY: The Managing Director is responsible for the administration of the Association. To that end, the Managing Director works collaboratively with the Board of Directors and diverse part-time volunteers in support of the Association’s mission and vision. Responsibilities include but are not limited to: general administrative duties for the Association; managing the program logistics; maintaining community relations; supporting marketing and public relations; supporting development and fundraising; and event management for the City of Fairfax Band, the Main Street Community Band and the Northern Virginia Youth Winds (the Concert Bands).
JOB DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Prepare the performance and rehearsal schedule and special events schedule for the Concert Bands by working with President, Music Director, and Band Directors.
- Administration of all of the Concert Bands’ activities, including facility and equipment rental, staging requirements, broadcast and recording requirements, and other logistical arrangements.
- Coordinate activities with the Association’s volunteer staff.
- Attend all City of Fairfax Band and Main Street Community Band rehearsals and concerts. Monitor Northern Virginia Youth Winds rehearsals and attend concerts
- Coordinate guest artist activities, including contracting, travel arrangements and gathering and disseminating biographical information, etc.
- Check PO Box and distribute correspondence
- Process all incoming check and cash payments, make weekly bank deposit, monthly Paypal download, and provide deposit statement to Bookkeeper
- Maintain Google Drive files and organization
- Handle all insurance renewals, professional membership renewals annually
- Provide annual ASCAP works list
- Coordinate concert recordings; process orders and facilitate delivery
- Respond to and follow up enquiries by letter, telephone, email and/or personal visits in an efficient, professional and courteous manner
- Communicate with city, county, and state authorities, performing artists and subscribers as necessary to ensure efficient, positive relations, support and activities.
- Coordinate activities with other local performing arts organizations regarding joint collaborations and to avoid scheduling conflicts.
Public Relations & Marketing:
- Execute special activities like ticket giveaways and other targeted marketing efforts.
- Communicate with website manager regarding updated information/special announcements
- Manage all Twitter and occasional Facebook posts; and CFBA YouTube channel, unless a volunteer is in place.
- Maintain updated mailing list and email list in MailChimp
- Coordinate design and distribution of season brochure and other printed matter
- Design and execute printing of concert programs, including ad content.
- Execute ticket distribution via mail and will call list
- Manage the Concert Bands’ performances to include house management, ticket fulfillment, venue coordination, etc.
- Coordinate and maintain database of donor, gifts, and thank you letters
- Assist Development Chair with stewardship
- Plan and manage 3 requests for funding during the year in September, December and March
- Solicit donations at season concerts and summer concerts (remittance envelopes in programs, personal appeals in lobby
- Assist the Finance Committee/Development Chair in establishing appropriate goals for the Annual Fund Raising Campaign to support the Artistic Plan each year
- Assist with completion of grant applications
- Perform other duties as assigned by the President.
Experience and Skills:
- Experience in nonprofit and/or arts environment
- Highly effective written and verbal communications skills with strong editing skills.
- Ability to plan, initiate and complete tasks and projects without close supervision, as well as ability to work well in a team planning environment.
- Ability to effectively supervise volunteers.
- Ability to work diplomatically with elected officials, board members, donors, and arts community.
- Ability to work with graphic designers to produce information materials as needed
- Experience with information management systems, email campaign management (MailChimp preferred), web design and HTML (WordPress preferred) and Microsoft Office Suite
Submit cover letter and resume to email@example.com.